Gzip and tar

Georgatos Photis gef at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Jan 26 20:48:08 EET 1998

Fotis Andritsopoulos wrote:

> Afou me to tar.gz ftiajeis ena arxeio 2 MB p.x. dokimase meta to split -b
> 1400000 wste na to 'kopsei' se kommatia twn 1,4MB me onomata xaa, xab
> ktl.Gia na ta enwseis meta kaneis cat xaa xab >file.tar.gz

Yparxei ena kolpaki pou eida teleytaia pou kanei kati san RAID se disketes!
Legetai ras - redundant archive system (Nick Cleaton)

Egw, den yparxei fora pou na metefera kati me split kai na mhn xalase mia
disketa.
(kai dwstou meta me to modem na kanw split to swsto apo makria,
kai to xalasmeno ston disko mou, na bgazw CRC klp, gia na dw poia 10Kb,
na metaferw apo to 1200ri kabourdisthri modem). A re epoxes!

Diabaste:
-------------
Ras is a program that adds m extra files to a set of n files, such that the
contents of the n original files can, in most cases, be regenerated from any
n of the n+m original files and extra files. The extra files will all be
about 0.4 percent larger then the largest of the original files.

It can be used, for example, to store 10 floppy-disks worth of data on 15
floppies in such a way that the data can be recovered from *any 10* of
the 15 floppies.  I use it to transport large files split over multiple
floppies in a manner resilient to the corruption of a few of the floppies.

More details at http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/nc/

Nick Cleaton

Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr