Audio Extraction (was RE: cdda2wav)

I.Ioannou roryt at hol.gr
Mon Feb 23 02:34:56 EET 1998

On 22-Feb-98 Magic wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> Epeidh me endiaferei amesa to Audio Extraction idiws katw apo linux

Den ksero an sou kanei, alla gia des ayto

------ fwd message -------------------------

Hello folks,

I'm announcing a prerelease (for diverse hardware testing purposes) of
cdparanoia (Paranoia-III) for Linux.  This version is no longer
distributed
as a patch to cdda2wav, but is rather a complete, ground-up rewrite of
the
entire cdda2wav package stressing clean code, robustness of core
features,
and  reliability on as diverse a range of CDROM drives as possible.
Cdparanoia alpha release 1 can be downloaded from the CDDA Paranoia
homepage
at:

<URL:http://www.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/xiphmont/cdparanoia/index.html>

Cdparanoia is a utility for reading tracks from audio CDs as data.  It
then
either saves the track in a file or sends the data to standard output
in WAV,
AIFC or raw (MSB or LSB first) format.  In addition to basic reading,
cdparanoia enforces strict alignment checking and data verification,
totally
eliminating jitter and spurious samples common to most CDROM drives
(cdparanoia will not only eliminate intersector/interread jitter, but
also
handle drives that suffer from loss of streaming errors during atomic
read
operations).  Cdparanoia also handles scratch detection and repair of
damaged audio discs (NOTE: This prelease does not yet have anti-scratch
features enabled).

Other cdparanoia features of cdda2wav include extra-robust error
handling,
complete autosensing of hardware configuration (no compile time
configuration),
and all interface and paranoia functions available in library form (use
Paranoia III in your own applications!).

The purpose of this prerelease is to test cdparanoia on hardware
unavailable to
me personally; although the release is labelled 'alpha', the package is
likely
very stable on most ATAPI and SCSI CDROM drives.  I'm especially
looking for
folks to test this package on older proprietary CDROM interfaces (ie,
the
Creative Labs /dev/sbpcd interface, etc), and on cutting edge kernel
versions.

More information and lots of documentation is available on the CDDA
Paranoia
homepage listed above.

Thanks,

Monty