Re42: AMD K6 200

Vassilis Terzopoulos bacardi at eexi.gr
Sat Sep 27 13:22:31 EEST 1997

At 10:22 ðì 27/9/1997 +0300, Christos Ricudis wrote:
>pleon ta oria twn li8ografikwn me8odwn - kai ayto einai to shmerino anwtato
>orio stis texnologies kataskeyhs VLSI, poy den anamenetai na kseperastei
>syntoma ston tomea ths paragwghs.

Symplhrwsh-enhmerwtiko (Edupage 23/9/97):

IBM researchers have developed a way to successfully substitute copper for
aluminum in making semiconductors, using a patented "fusion barrier" that
keeps the copper from "poisoning" the silicon.  The company expects that
using the new process, dubbed CMOS 7S, will enable them to make
high-performance PC chips at prices about 20% lower than conventional chips.
"This is really fundamentally different," says a senior analyst at
MicroDesign Resources.  "There was general industry agreement that copper
was the way to go, but until now it was just too hard.  Now everyone will
have to move to copper, willingly or kicking and screaming."  The new chips
promise to perform at least two to four times faster than conventional
chips.  (Wall Street Journal 22 Sep 97)

--
 Vassilis Terzopoulos: I am not young enough to know everything.
 http://w4u.eexi.gr/~bacardi - webmaster@ http://www.techlink.gr