RC5 effort key has been founded !!!

I.Ioannou roryt at hol.gr
Thu Oct 23 03:37:23 EEST 1997

San lista den phgame kai asxima :

23 hmeres , 1514 thesi, 12830 blocks, taxitita (meso oro) 16660,89kkeys/sec
(xthes eixame baresei 3900kkeys/sec !!!!)

Deyteroi sto .gr - tixerakia simos at teiath.gr (melos tis listas)  :-)))
Ektoi sta linux (eixame prooptikes gia tetartoi)

Kai mou emeine h aporia : poios eixe ayta ta  dyo-tria mhxanimata pou ekei
meta to apogeyma "rixnane gkazia" ;;;; :-)

Des te kai ayto :

http://www.distributed.net/pressroom/56-whatnext.html

Quiet please, quiet please  I know you're all excited but If we can just have a
moment of your time  This won't take
but a minute and then the festivities may begin.

First off, you're all invited to #rc5 on EFNet. A live, virtual party is being
held right now in celebration of our
victory over RC5-56. This is one party you will not want to miss.

However, the obvious question to arise is "what next?" I'm sure you're all
wondering what new magic
distributed.net has up its sleeve. We've flexed our collective computing
muscles and stomped 56-bit RC5 into
submission. Far from becoming obsolete, dis tributed.net now has a much-renewed
sense of vigor. We've tasted
our first victory-and we LIKE IT.

As it stands, the solution came at an awkward time for us as the V3 protocol is
still not ready to enter the coding
stage. We are still working out the details of the specification and do not
want to rush the design stage. It would
be tragic to inadvert ently miss something critical in our rush to get the
specification out the door. Since a V3
client is most-likely weeks away from reality, we've opted to issue a
point-release V2 client and divert all our
energies to attacking 64-bit RC5.

Don't let your efforts stagnate! The last thing any of us want is for us to
lose our momentum. We've all worked
so hard to build distributed.net and in the process we've created what is
easily the largest computer in the world.
Lets roll out the 64-b it clients and keep adding processors!

A suite of V2 64-bit RC5 clients is available right now and the new 64-bit RC5
server network is in place and
waiting for you to feed it with blocks. I invite everyone to hop over to
ftp.distributed.net and grab a set. As you
shut down your 56-bit clien ts, you'll be in the perfect position to pop in a
64-bit client to replace it. (note that
we will be handling teams differently for RC5-64 and when you set up your
clients you should use your own,
personal email address and not a team address)

Beyond RC5, yes, we are still working on developing the V3 protocol and will be
releasing a full client set to allow
distributed.net as a whole to work on not only RC5-64 but a variety of other
focused tasks. However, V3 client
development will be a very different process than the V2/V1 development cycle
we've seen in the past. The V3
client-server specifications and protocol will be a publicly published
standard. This means that anyone will be able
to use the protocol documentation to built their own, trusted, secure client
modules. The days of limited source
distribution and secrecy are soon to be gone forever.

On a related-note, there are many people who have wondered if 64-bit RC5 is
really feasible. It is, as we all
know, a much larger task than 56-bit RC5. Many people have wondered if it's
even worth attempting. It's
worth mentioning however that at our p resent rate the estimated time to
complete 64-bit RC5 is actually less
than our estimated time to complete 56-bit RC5 was back in April. We've already
proven how the effort can
grow wildly beyond all expectations and there is no reason whatsoever to thin k
that this trend will not continue.
As long as you know of at least one computer that's not running the client,
there's room for growth. As V3 rolls
out and the clients become exponentially more secure, easier to install, easier
to maintain, and easier to track it
will consequently also become far easier to recruit new machines and new
members. Plus, the plans that we have
for the stats server will blow you away!

Congratulations! All of us were here for the first of many distributed.net
victories and all of us are pioneers in a
long and ongoing effort to broaden the impact and reach of distributed
computing technologies. It's an oft-said
and rarely accurate sayi ng, but for us it is quite applicable: The
possibilities are endless!

Adam L. Beberg - Client design and overall visionary
Jeff Lawson - keymaster/server network design and morale booster
David McNett - stats development and general busybody

I.Ioannou (roryt at hol.gr)
sto "majordomo at argos.hol.gr" me 1 grammi sto keimeno: help