Re^2: "It will all seem like Greek to you" :)

Efthimios Mavrogeorgiadis emav at enl.auth.gr
Tue Dec 23 13:47:26 EET 1997

On 22-Dec-97 16:03:17 Christos Ricudis wrote:

>Hello Linux-greek-users!
>
>In <LINUX-USERS.GR> Linux-greek-users wrote:
>
> L> Oi amerikanoi presveutes siniuizoun na lene oti otan eixe
> L> systauei to USA, eixan kanei cifororia gia to poia glvssa
> L> ua exoun episimh. Gia 1 cifo, i glvssa pou epilextike itan
> L> i aggliki enanti tis ellinhkhs.
>
>My8os. (kai oyte kan prwtotypos - o original my8os anaferetai sta Germanika
>kai
>emeis aplws ton metaplasame. To idio ekanan kai oi italoi kai oles oi
>ypoloipes
>meionothtes sthn USA :))
>
>http://www.urbanlegends.com/language/german_us_official_lang.html

Or8on! Antigrafw apo to biblio tou Charles Berlitz _Native Tongues_

"German almost became the official language of the United States of America.
The Continental Congress, convened in Philadelphia during the Revolution, at
one time considered adopting a new language for the future of the United
States, perhaps with the aim of cutting off all ties with England. Among the
languages suggested were German, Hebrew, and French. German was the most
favored for several reasons: there were many German-speaking Americans in
Pennsylvania and other states; Dutch settlers in New York and elsewhere could
learn to use German easily; German would be easy for other colonials to learn
since it was basically similar to English; the Hessians, German troop levies
"rented" by the British, were deserting to the Americans and many wished to
remain in America. Nevertheless, when the proposition came to a vote, English
was chosen as the language of the new republic - by the majority of one vote!"

Ta ellhnika htan anamesa stis glwsses pou prota8hkan alla egkatalhf8hkan nwris.
As mhn epanalambanoume mh8eumata h eusebeis po8ous. Allwste enas enhmerwmenos
linuxas einai enas apotelesmatikos linuxas! ;-)

* Efthimios Mavrogeorgiadis            Enmity inscribe on water *
* PhD Student                              friendship on copper *
* English Department                       so that it may stand *
* Aristotle University of Thessaloniki              for ever... *
* emav at enl.auth.gr                      St. Isidore of Pelusium *
*        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8555/        *
*             Email me for my PGP Public Key Block              *
Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr