gettydefs (2)

Michalas Othon mixalas at forthnet.gr
Wed Dec 17 21:21:26 EET 1997

>I.Ioannou wrote:
>>
>> Gia thn akribeia, einai enas digi portserver, setarismenos na
>> kanei redirect tis seirakes kateytheian se ena kanali pou exei
>> aniksei meso enos programmatos ths digi (rtty) metaksi portserver
>> kai Linux.
>
>  Xmm, OK. Kai o port-server einai syndedemenos sto Linux-box mesw
> thin-ethernet (coaxial dhladh), ypo0etw. H ypo0etw la0os;..................

Gia opoion exei xrono idou h logikh tou systhmatos (apo thn Stallion)

Communications Server remote port facility is a feature that allows UNIX
applications to treat the serial ports on a LAN-connected Communications
Server unit as if they were serial ports on the local machine. This provides
a convenient method for using modems, printers and other serial devices
connected to an Communications Server port, as well as providing the ability
to run dedicated applications on these ports.
The remote port facility is implemented by a UNIX application called svr_tty
and the Telnet Listener capability of the Communications Server. A block
diagram showing the various pieces and their relationships is shown below:

[application]

[Slave tty]

[Master tty]

[rtty]------------tcp/ip-----------[TerminalServer]

Applications talk to the serial ports on a Communications Server unit via a
UNIX pseudo-tty. The actual transfer of data between a pseudo-tty and
Communications Server serial port is done by a svr_tty daemon process.
svr_tty reads data the master end of the pseudo-tty and passes it to the
Communications Server and vice versa. svr_tty uses a simple protocol to
communicate with the serial ports on an Communications Server unit via
Telnet Listeners (processes that run within the Communications Server and
transfer data between the network and serial ports).
Note: The use of a UNIX pseudo-tty imposes some limitations, although these
are not normally a problem for most applications. The same limitations occur
in other situations where pseudo-ttys are used, i.e. a remote login
connection using telnet or rlogin. The major difference between a real
serial port and the pseudo-tty which provides a remote port connection is
that hardware-related characteristics such a baud rate, number of bits per
character, hardware flow control, etc. cannot be set by the application
program using the normal UNIX API (ioctl). These characteristics must be
configured in the Communications Server using the facilities it provides
(command line interface, configuration files, etc.)

O8wn
Alfa - Group
= Greece-== ALFA - O.Mixalas  -- Al. Panagoulh 24  -- 491 00 Kerkura
--Greece -Tel+30-661-40096
= Italia-==VSI  --  V. dei Mille 38/40  --  MailBox 301  --  00185 Roma  --
Italy
= Albania-==I.A.G. - computer sh.p.k.  --  Skenderbeu 1  --  Saranda  --
Albania

Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr