[I18NGR] Language code for Greek

Dimitrios 'sehh' Michelinakis dimitris at michelinakis.gr
Wed Oct 4 15:52:30 EEST 2006

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:25:09 +0200 Stegozor <stegozor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you. I just checked this page, and I see some entries (like de for
> German and tr for Turkish) that do not seem "correct". AFAIK, codes like
> de-DE, de-AT, fr-Fr do exist but they are not mentioned on that page.
> So, seems that my quest continues :)

The above ISO language codes are made out of two letter base language and two letter sublanguage. The sublanguage code is not required. Infact, its used only when you want to specify some specific language "version".

For example, you may say "en" when you don't want to be specific about the English language, but you may also say "en_GB" for British English.

Browsers and web servers follow the above scematic to browse pages.

Thus, if the above page mentions "de", it probably wants to cover all the different German dialects/derivatives.

--
Dimitrios Michelinakis