[I18NGR] [Fwd: Re: Capitalisation of text, which library is it?]

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Tue Sep 6 20:39:44 EEST 2005

-----Προωθημένο Μήνυμα-----
From: Bruno Haible <haible at ilog.fr>
To: linux-utf8 at nl.linux.org, Simos Xenitellis <simos74 at gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Capitalisation of text, which library is it?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:11:24 +0200

> Several applications allow you to convert text to all caps, such as
> Firefox and OpenOffice.org....
> Do you know where this information is stored or which library deals this
> task?
> Is it CLDR?

Yes it should be CLDR. Because the glibc locale data files are only
accessible through glibc API, and this API doesn't for example do
toupper("ß") = "SS", as needed for the German locale. Similarly in French,
where often toupper("é") = "E" and not "É".

The libraries which exploit CLDR are ICU and GNU glocale ([1], work in
progress).

Bruno

[1] http://live.gnome.org/LocaleProject