[RFC] fontconfig - greek orthography

Vasilis Vasaitis vvas at hal.csd.auth.gr
Sun Jan 26 03:05:07 EET 2003

  Hello,

  Now that, with the new releases of RedHat, fontconfig is starting to
be used by a lot of people, a problem has been reported with regard to
recognising fonts as being suitable for the greek language. In
particular, it seems that fontconfig fails to accept the majority of
fonts as being adequate for this language.

  It seems that the problem is caused by the inclusion of four
reduntant characters in the greek orthography information:

	  0374	     GREEK NUMERAL SIGN
	  0375	     GREEK LOWER NUMERAL SIGN
	  037A	     GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI
	  037E	     GREEK QUESTION MARK

  Out of those, the first two are only needed for greek numerals,
sheldom used today; the third is only needed for ancient Greek, and
the fourth is considered to be equivalent with 003B (semicolon), so it
doesn't matter much. So it would be best to eliminate these four
characters from the greek orthography, as shown by the attached
(trivial) patch to el.orth.

  This problem was first reported by Sarantis Paskalis
<sarantis at cnl.di.uoa.gr>. I observed it myself as well, so I took the
liberty to report it here. Please "Reply to All", as I am not
subscribed in this list.

Thanks,
Vasilis

--