[Open-source] Fwd: [Madwifi-devel] [ANNOUNCE] MadWifi project moves away from binary-only HAL in favor of ath5k

Kostas Zorbadelos kzorba at otenet.gr
Fri Sep 28 12:43:19 EEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:29:13PM +0300, Nick Kossifidis wrote:
> [...]

Ayto einai kat' arxas mia thetiki exelixi.

> We encourage all interested
> developers to join us and contribute to our efforts.

Stin antilipsi mou omos exoun pesei kapoia themata pou exoun anadeixei
oi OpenBSD developers kai kalo nomizo oti einai na parousiastoun kai
edo.

> This situation has changed.
>
> A driver for Atheros wireless cards is available in OpenBSD that talks
> directly to the hardware, based on reverse engineering efforts done by
> Reyk Floeter. Relevant parts of the driver have been ported to Linux by
> Nick Kossifidis to start OpenHAL [3], a free (as in freedom) replacement
> of the proprietary HAL. Claims that the OpenBSD driver (and thus also
> OpenHAL) contains stolen code slowed down the OpenHAL efforts but finally
> could be voided. The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) [4], with the help
> of Atheros, performed a thorough code review and concluded "that OpenHAL
> does not infringe copyrights held by Atheros" [5]. In other words, the way
> is clear now for the inclusion of an OpenHAL-based driver into the Linux
> kernel.

To thema apo oso katalava den itan mono ta copyrights held by Atheros,
alla kai ta copyrights tou Reyk Floeter pou ekane kai ti douleia tou
reverse engineering. H katastasi parousiazetai sto [1] kai apo o,ti
fainetai yparxei thetiki gia olous exelixi [2].

Filika,

Kostas Zorbadelos

[1] http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070913014315
[2] http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070927192354