Grapsimo ellinikwn/grammatoseires se Xfree86 4.0.x (Htan: RE: X k ai ellinika (PATCH) (Htan RE: SOLVED: kikbd se gnome (ouf!)))

Xenitellis S S.Xenitellis at rhbnc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 22:55:05 EEST 2000

Perilipsi:
	A. Ypostiriji grapsimatos ellinikwn
	B. Ypostiriji ellinikwn grammatoseirwn
	C. Osoi endiaferontai na graftoun se listes
	D. Grammata pou 8a stal8oun syntoma se
	aftes tis listes.

(H kinisi den einai toso megali)

H epikoinwnia mporei na ginei mesa apo tis listes aytes.
Mesa se liges meres (afou graftoun osoi endiaferontai),
8a steilw minima se ka8e mia apo tis listes gia odigies gia
tin ypostiriji ellinikwn.

An exete sxolia gia ta parakatw, parakalw kante ta gnwsta.

A. Gia to grapsimo ellinikwn:

---
Dear All,
	I am very much interested in having Greek support in
XFree86 4.0.x for the issue of writing documents. As I have seen
from version 3.3.6, there has not been support for writing in Greek
before.
	However, there exist different packages that either
add to the XFree86 configuration files to enable Greek or special
applications that do support Greek writing (like kikbd from KDE).
	The cleanest route to me is to add Greek support directly to
XFree86.
	My questions so far are:

	1. Is it "el" or "gr" for the keyboard code?
	Is it language specific (el) or country specific (gr) the keyboard
code?

	2. Could you pinpoint which of the following requirements cannot
	be implemented (In pure XFree86)?

	The full requirements (plus wishlist) to write in Greek are:
		1. Letter to letter substitution
		2. Typical accents on individual letters
		3. A special case of a combination of two
		accents on a specific letter (iota me tono kai dialytika)
		Typically we use: <;> <:> <i> and once <i> is pressed
		the correct character appears.
		4. Switch between <Greek> and <Foreign> languages.
		5. Ability to obey the layout of a master language
		for non-greek letters. That is, gb_gr and us_gr are
different.
		6. Possibility to write in Ancient Greek (just more tricks
with point 3)

	3. Should we use the XFree86 3.3.6 work or start from scratch?

TIA,
Simos Xenitellis
http://www.linux.gr
http://hlp.sourceforge.net
---

B. Gia tis grammatoseires

---
Dear All,
	I am very much interested in having Greek support in
XFree86 4.0.x for the issue of displaying Greek fonts. As I have seen
from version 3.3.6, there has not been built-in support for Greek fonts
before.
	There is an ongoing project to have a complete set of Greek fonts
and I was wondering how they could be added to the 4.0.
	Thus,
	a. Could you tell me if there is any other  independant work
	on adding Greek font support?
	b. If not, what formats or other information are needed?

Thank you in advance,
Simos Xenitellis
http://www.linux.gr
http://hlp.sourceforge.net