siemens and linux

Step step at otenet.gr
Thu Jun 10 14:46:46 EEST 1999

You probably haven't read the documentation for LILO :

The word LILO at boot time with  each letter represents actualy how  the
progress of the process
 L     The first step is complete but the second could not be completed
(could not find /boot/boot.b propably)

I        The second step invoked but could not be started  (probably
faulty disk geometry or to moving
          /boot/boot.b  without reinstalling LILO

You can find the complete set in the manual

Alexios Konstantinidis wrote:

>  Dear Sir/Madam, Only recently I decided to start familiarizing with
> LINUX (REDHAT 5.2).  I made two installations. One at home.  A PLATO
> machine from Pouliadis & Parteners. Everything worked so well.  Once
> the installation completed in 30min, everything was running
> smoothly. I take the Hard Disk (physically) and I install it at my
> SIEMENS machine at work. Boot it from the BIOS (selecting the hard
> drive) and nothing happens.  Just "LI" printed on screen. At first I
> thought that having assigned "hda1" for Linux during installation and
> having it as a slave hard disk on the SIEMENS system hdb1 (at the
> PLATO machine I had it as primary), causes the problem. (I don't think
> so because during installation there is a window specifing to use the
> partitions either as hda or hdb or something similar. I change the
> master slave configuration and nothing happens.  Again LI. All right I
> boot from a boot up disk. Everything fine, login promt and I put the
> "root" password and ........... Password is incorrect.!!!!!!!
>
> From what disk ?
>
>   After three installations with different passwords and .........
> Password is incorrect!!!!!! I am desperate and I write to you.
>

>   I always format the partitions at every new installation and I even
> made a new start-up disk for each installation (not significant but
> anyrate). I would appreciate your assistance. Yours Sincerely,Alexios
> Konstantinidis

Try to completly erase the partitions  reboot  and then create them
again (in case it doesn't format the partitions and keeping the old /etc
directory who has the password file).

I really don't now much about the RedHat 5.2  (se use the SuSE Linux
distribution) but  probably
 you are not formating the partition .

Let me know if this helps

Regards